May 27, 2013

Wall Progressions

Arranging the design.


It's exciting to watch a project transform from pieces of materials into a physical object. This week, I sanded away the rough edges. Now past the dusty stage, the tubes are looking much more polished. You can see the before-after difference here:

Before sanding (left). After sanding (right).


Then came a few rounds of arranging. My intension is to make the design look organic, as if the tubes have just dropped into place on their own. Since it's not a symmetrical pattern, it's impossible to have all sides of every tube touching each other. This left for some interesting negative spaces and a realization... I'm going to have to paint the tubes before they're glued together! I had planned to glue them first, thinking the bond will be stronger between the cardboard than freshly painted surfaces. Let's hope it holds! Any suggestions?

And off I go to buy paint...

No comments:

Post a Comment