January 15, 2013

The Sketchbook Project

As a participant in this year's The Sketchbook Project, my sketchbook ended up being the first childrens book I've both written and illustrated! It was much fun!





The idea started with drawing birds from the photos I've been taking of pigeons flying by my windows. The various shapes and gatherings of these amusing birds inspired this story. It then evolved into a new style... in just black and white, I combined tonal, abstract-ish, bird shapes with silver line patterns. The graphic lines help to lead the story from beginning to end, while also serving a different purpose on each spread. 


Tiny, silver beads were scattered onto the title page and last spread to tie in the meaning of "To Be..."



Enjoy the story! The whole book (plus text included in the captions) can be viewed on my website in the Sketchbook section. In a couple weeks, it will also be posted on The Sketchbook Project's website.




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:00 pm

    Beautifully done Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! Soon we'll get to reunite with our sketchbooks!

    ReplyDelete