December 13, 2005

Whanganui

And so I did get to go on the Whanganui River! Today I joined Fred in his little metal boat and we motored across the wide expanse of gray water. At the shore on the other side of the river, which is actually an island, the wet clay was exposed from the recent tide going down. It was slippery as I skated across or tried to pull my suctioned sandle if I stood a moment too long. Getting in was fun as the shore fell quickly and water was waist high before I climbed in the boat. While Fred chainsawed his wood, I amused myself by trying to throw mud into the entrances of holes the crabs had dug and then built towers out of rocks. Sometimes I must ask, is this really my life?! Wished I had brought my camera, but didn't, concerned the boat might tip and we'd be swimming. Instead, it rained, and then the water ran out and ended up dragging the boat to the other side and I tried to steer around the logs and repeating "right is left and left is right" all the way home.

Apparently there was an earthquake this morning. But not to be alarmed, it happens every few months! P

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:53 pm

    Hey Pam,
    I just checked out your NZ photos.. once again, soooo beautiful! You have a great eye!
    And you look so happy!

    Christmas is upon us and it's going to be strange not having you here with us, hopefully you can send a # where we can reach you?

    'till then take care,
    NL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 pm

    Hey Precious Pam!
    There was an earthquake! I totally felt it and Shona too! I thought I was going crazy, but now I know I am not. I hope you are having the most beautiful time. I love your blog.
    best of wishes,
    Spanna,
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely so strange being all the way over here and not there. I will call you guys tomorrow (my boxing day, your christmas!)

    I'm kind of disappointed I didn't feel the earthquake! Oh well, maybe there will be other opportunities!!

    ReplyDelete